Thursday, August 17, 2006

I Dream of a Perfect Iced Coffee

The New York Times recently published an article entitled, "Mom's Iced Coffee It's Not", which provided tips for creating a perfect cup of iced coffee. The article can be found here.

Back in January I got a terrible glass of iced coffee from the Dunkin' Donuts outside my office. Although their service is reliably bad, it reached a new low that day. The resulting coffee was so foul that I contacted my friend to discuss. He immediately called to have a full update and commiserate. Dunkin' Donuts coffee from this particular vendor has since been labeled "liquid arsenic" by my co-worker, who refuses to patronize the store.
It's not as if the article provided any information I didn't already know (such as making coffee ice cubes to use in the double-strength coffee so as not dilute it), but I appreciate the Times drawing national attention to this very important issue. If I thought the vocabulary in the article wouldn't frighten the incompetent Dunkin' staff I might print out a copy for them, as a reference for correctly prepared iced coffee. Alas, I'm better off trying my luck at home.

2 Comments:

At Friday, August 18, 2006 3:31:00 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

Holy Postings! You're back! And I, too, love Iced Coffee.

Don't bother with Dunkin's, though. Yuck.

I make a mean cup with my new Alessi Espresso Maker. Thanks, Mom n' Dad!

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:52:00 PM, Blogger Danya said...

From what I've read, and not just in this article, there is something about the oil in coffee that sours after it has been sitting around for too long. I think that's why they say the flavor is diminished when it's cold. I like the idea of coffee ice cubes, but am far too lazy to make them. I have taken to making myself espresso slurpees on the weekend with my blender ... served with homemade waffles and a side of bacon, that's heaven!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Universities
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com