Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Now I Have A Reason to Live

I never got into "Dawson's Creek" when it was first aired. My dorm only had cable in the common room and I hated sitting through the arguments over what show to watch. So as a result, I missed a lot of good network television from 1996 to 2000 (including "Felicity", but that's another story entirely).

For reasons that are not entirely clear, I got into "Dawson's" during graduate school. The re-runs aired on TBS back-to-back at 10 am and 11 am on weekdays, and I started a Friday tradition of lying in bed watching "Dawson's" as I recovered from my Thursday night drinking binge. Eating cereal in bed with the kids from the Creek, I learned something new with each episode, whether cures for heartaches, tiffs with friends, or the ultimate truism that Dawson Leary is a total pussy.

I must admit that I'm a Pacey girl. I absolutely love him. But through all of my devoted "Dawson's" viewing, I always missed the episode where Pacey and Joey broke up. One time it aired when I was in Key West with friends and I tore myself away from our hotel room to wander Duval Street. I guess that was more fun than watching TV alone, but I'm still not sure. Ultimately, my dear friend S purchased the Season 4 box set for my last birthday for the sole purpose of viewing that pivotal episode. I returned from my birthday celebration and watched it on my 27th birthday through my beer buzz. It was just as good as I had imagined.

After graduation, perhaps the biggest adjustment to working life came in the form of missing "Dawson's" episodes in the mornings. But as of last week, an ingenious network, The-N, is showing "Dawson's" re-runs from the beginning of the series every night at 7 and 10 pm. This not only fills a void in my life left empty by graduation, but a crucial time slot in my evening television viewing schedule. I've been reunited at last with my friends from the Creek after almost a year's absence. Now if only I could talk on my banana cell phone and watch "Dawson's" on mute, my life might be complete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Universities
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com