Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Navigating a New Frontier

I can't believe I'm about to type this: I signed up for Match.com.

But it's really not my fault. I mean, yes, I did it and no one held a gun to my head. Saturday night I couldn't find anyone to hang out with. Everyone had plans! So as I drank alone, it occurred to me that if I had a boyfriend, or was at least dating someone, I might not be sitting around by myself on a Saturday night. This led me to Match.

My mother said it best -- it's the best $50 I've ever spent on entertainment. I can't say that I feel like I've met anyone outstanding, nor did I expect to. It's been a cross of OK guys and some real losers. I'm starting to keep a list of reasons why I've rejected men who have "winked" at me. These include, but are not limited to the following:

  1. Too old
  2. Too young
  3. Too ugly
  4. Nascar enthusiasm
  5. Lives in Hialeah/Pembroke Pines /Davie or out of the country (I'm supposed to be interested in a guy from the English midlands? Right)
  6. Wears a UM/FSU/UF jersey in their photo (one even wore Mardi Gras beads, too)
  7. User name includes Gators/Noles/Canes
  8. Education level is lower than a B.A. or B.S.
  9. Employment is"home-audio technician"
  10. Misspells more than three simple words in profile
  11. Looks creepy
  12. Profile says they are looking for their "princess"
  13. Is Latino (sounds racist, but I have not had good experiences with Latin men)
  14. Profile "can't be found" when you click on the link
  15. Shorter than 5'7"

Surely more will get added to the list, but these are the current most common reasons for rejection. I find it perplexing, to say the least, as to what it is these men think we may possibly have in common. I guess they figure nothing ventured, nothing lost. But seriously.

More updates to follow. I feel like, as usual, I'm living my life to get the good story to tell later. If this is a representative sample of the single men in South Florida, I think it's almost time to move.

1 Comments:

At Monday, September 18, 2006 11:56:00 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

you just ruled out 99.9% of the population of south florida.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Universities
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com