Sunday, September 24, 2006

"Little Miss Sunshine"



I spent a relaxing Saturday night at the movies and saw "Little Miss Sunshine". I'm pleased to report that it actually lived up to the hype.

One of my fellow movie-goers declared it was one of the best movies he's ever seen (I think it was 'ever', not just 'lately'). I wouldn't go that far, but it had some hilarious moments, good character development, and a unique take on a familiar family roadtrip story.

I won't post anything resembling a spoiler, especially with respect to the ending, as the shock of it really makes the film. I'll just say that I'll never be able to hear the song "Superfreak" without thinking of this film ever again.

Toni Collette turned in a perfect performance as a well-meaning, kind-hearted mother and wife on the brink of losing patience with her family. Greg Kinnear's portrayal of a sanctimonious, joyless wanna-be self-help guru was excellent. Steve Carrell took a page from Bill Murray's playbook in his role as a numb, suicidal scholar, with hardly a hint of his usual comic brilliance. Alan Arkin, however, was the scene-stealer of the crew and his biggest joke isn't even revealed until the end. The two child stars were great, particularly the son, Dwayne, who was reminiscent of a young John Cusack.

I can't recommend this highly enough -- it's definitely good for a laugh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Universities
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com