Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Little Ones/French Kicks - Studio A, 9/29/06

I'll admit at the outset that I wasn't altogether lucid by the time I arrived at Studio A last night to see The Little Ones and the French Kicks. Beforehand, Superbee and I went to a cocktail party at Karu & Y and I took full advantage of the open bar. This morning when I found stickers for both bands in my purse, I remembered stumbling into the venue, signing up for a couple mailing lists to get the free stickers, and then continued on into the bar.

I was afraid we had missed The Little Ones since we didn't get there until well after 11 p.m. The crowd was sparse and apparently they held off on starting the show until more people showed up. It gave us the opportunity to chat with some extraordinarily unfriendly Midwesterners and, in my case, attempt to sober up a bit before the bands came on.

Last night, like the Mobius Band/The Editors / Stellastarr* show at Studio A, was an instance in which I was wowed by the opening band and bored by the headliner. I expected good things from The Little Ones, but they surpassed expectations. They had great energy and a great, kind of indescribable rock sound, but with tinges of the Beach Boys and The Shins.

Although I love the French Kicks' current album, live, they just didn't have it last night. I read a review, I think in Pitchfork, that highly recommended seeing them live. I'm going to officially disagree with that. The harmonies, which sound so clean and beautiful on the record, were sloppy and off-key live. And somehow, the fact that all of their songs sound the same doesn't bother me when I'm listening to them in the car, but nearly put me to sleep last night (or maybe it was the four variously flavored martinis I consumed before the show?). If we hadn't snuck into a vacant booth in V.I.P. section it's entirely possible I would have put my head down on the bar for a nap midway through their set.

Since I only paid $13 for the show and I was in the neighborhood anyway, I'm not going to chalk the night up as a loss. Still had a great time, but it was due to The Little Ones, Superbee, and, of course, free drinks.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, October 01, 2006 2:55:00 AM, Blogger manny hernandez said...

I must respectfully disagree with your assessment about The French Kicks.

I thought they were amazing.

 
At Sunday, October 01, 2006 6:09:00 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

I thought the French Kicks sucked ass.

Yes, perhaps I was drunk.

Still, that should have made me like them more.

Thank god I had those cigarettes so I had something to do while they were playing and I was waiting for us to be able to get the hell out of there.

The Little Ones, however, were amazing. As were the odd martinis. And the Company, of course. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Universities
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com