Monday, October 23, 2006

Autumn in Miami

As much as it pains me to say it, there is a lot to look forward to with the advent of "the season". That's right, I mean tourist season. That time of year when South Florida is inundated with snowbirds, hedonists and, dare I say? Cultural events.

Yes, you read that correctly. In the next few weeks we have:

Vizcaya Halloween Party: A perennial favorite where the craziest costumes meet with open bars .

Opera season: You read that correctly. I am now a season ticket holder the Florida Grand Opera and I'm psyched! Aida is up first.

Ribfest 2006: See my previous post below. A whole weekend to celebrate ribs. Thank you, Homestead!

Miami-Dade Book Fair: Last year I attended this through a really nasty hangover and heard Maureen Dowd speak about her new book. Afterwards, I wandered the fairgrounds and picked up bunches of used books. It was almost like I lived in a normal, intellectual city ... at least until I crossed the causeway back to the intellectual wasteland that is South Beach.

Lots more to come, of course. I always find it amusing that during the summer, there is nary an event worth attending. But with the influx of tourists, the city puts on the greatest events imaginable. It almost makes it worth living here.

2 Comments:

At Friday, October 27, 2006 3:05:00 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

rib fest!!!

 
At Tuesday, December 26, 2006 2:49:00 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

Your blog is dead to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Universities
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com